Please note: You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please update to IE10 here to properly experience the ATI website.

50.

U.S. – President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)

Very Poor

ATI_Donor Graph-50

OVERVIEW

PEPFAR is the U.S. government’s cross-cutting programme to combat HIV/AIDS. It is part of the Department of State but has been assessed separately because of the magnitude of the programme, which is administered by a number of U.S. agencies. See U.S.-wide commitments and recommendations.

PEPFAR is not currently publishing information directly to the Foreign Assistance Dashboard or to the IATI Registry. Some information about PEPFAR-funded activities is available on the Dashboard in USAID’s data, as part of their own agency spending. However, PEFPAR’s own role in the project cycle (e.g., from whom it received funds, to whom it disbursed funds) is not published. PEPFAR does not disclose information on contracts to prime partners and sub-partners in a machine-readable and open format consistent with the U.S. Open Data Policy. PEPFAR’s funding mechanism and structure highlights the need for clarity on its publication of foreign assistance information, to show flows that are received and disbursed.[1] PEPFAR has not been scheduled to be added on the Foreign Assistance Dashboard. Its budget is authorised for a five-year cycle, with the last authorisation in 2008.

ANALYSIS

PEPFAR scores 16.1%, placing it in the very poor category. It is the only U.S. agency that does not score on the portal, description and title indicators. Information on PEPFAR’s activities can be found in Country Operation Plans (COPs) published annually by PEPFAR, but often information in these documents is redacted without any explanation, resulting in PEPFAR’s poor performance on activity-level indicators. It does not publish activity financial and performance data systematically. PEPFAR also performs poorly on financial information at the organisation level, scoring on just one indicator – forward-looking organisation budgets. Of the 22 indicators that take format into account, none are published in machine-readable formats.

RECOMMENDATIONS

  • PEPFAR should take responsibility for publishing all its budget data and information on activities that it is currently funding.
  • PEPFAR should publish all its activities to IATI in 2014, including any funding provided to other agencies. Funds implemented by other agencies but originating in OGAC should be included in the activity reports.

 

 

 



[1] PEPFAR funding is appropriated by Congress through a number of line items and accounts to four different government agencies. About 78% of appropriations go directly to the Office of the Global AIDS Coordinator (OGAC) for distribution, with the remaining 22% appropriated directly to other implementing government agencies such as USAID and the Department of Health and Human Services. However, these agencies also receive additional funding through OGAC: http://www.cgdev.org/sites/default/files/financial-flows-pepfar-profile.pdf.

Close

DONOR PROFILE

First published to IATI:

N/A

Data was found in the following formats where relevant:

0% IATI

0% CSV/Excel

23% PDF

23% Website

55% Not Published

SCORING

16.09%

COMMITMENT TO
AID TRANSPARENCY:

3.25/10

PUBLICATION
ORGANISATION LEVEL:

6.48/25

PUBLICATION
ACTIVITY LEVEL:

6.36/65

Commitment

1. FOIA

2. Implementation Schedules

3. Accessibility

Planning

Financial

4. Organisation Strategy

5. Annual Report

6. Allocation Policy

7. Procurement Policy

8. Country Strategy

Basic

Classifications

Financial

Performance

12. Implementer

13. Unique ID

14. Title

15. Description

16. Planned Dates

17. Actual Dates

18. Current Status

19. Contact Details